Countertops and backsplashes play a big role in kitchen and bathroom design. They are prominent elements that stand out, giving them the power to define the style of any given space. Countertop trends and backsplash trends have evolved over the years, from stainless steel surfaces to wood to marble to subway tiles. But what does the future have in store?
Dark countertops: Dark countertops make any kitchen or bathroom feel sophisticated, and let’s be honest, downright sexy. Dark countertops pair well with light floors and light cabinets, adding an element of warmth to the space.
Mixed materials: Combining many different materials will be huge in 2019 kitchen and bathroom trends. Mixing stone countertops with glass shelving and metal hardware creates a trendy and unique space. Eclectic kitchens are always fun to design, and mixing and matching materials is what it’s all about.
Bold patterns: Boldly patterned backsplashes, especially ones that are full-height and that integrate with countertops, are becoming very trendy. Bold, black countertops and backsplashes are also being used in bathrooms, offering a rich and opulent feel to the space.
Light wood floors: Wood flooring in kitchens has been very popular for the last 20 years. However, past trends have focused on darker flooring, whereas the newer trends are leaning toward light wood floors. They offer a beautiful contrast against darker countertops and cabinetry.
High-contrast surfaces: Choosing a high-contrast surface for countertops will create visual interest in a room. It will liven up the kitchen or bathroom you are designing, and it’s a countertop trend that is becoming more and more popular.
Waterfall kitchen islands: The waterfall kitchen counter will continue to be trendy in the coming year. Having a waterfall island that reaches the floor offers a streamlined kitchen design with clean lines and symmetry.
Veiny countertops: Veiny countertops add character to modern kitchens. Whether in quartz or natural stones such as marble and granite, including veiny-patterned countertops to kitchen designs is a popular trend that is here to stay.
The list below highlights a few pertinent factors to consider when choosing a surface for any space in your home, including a kitchen top:
- Your personal preference, style, and taste – aesthetics;
- The needs and requirements of your family;
- The presence of young children in your home;
- Your home environment – size and space;
- The main usage of the surface you are considering;
- The characteristics of the surface – porosity and resistance to stains and chemicals;
- The durability of the surface – resistance to cuts, scratches, spills – wear and tear;
- The resilience of the surface in terms of heat, weight and “heavy traffic”;
- The cleaning and maintenance requirements;
- The health aspect, e.g. any areas which allow bacteria to grow;
- Last but not least, the cost of the surface.